spacer home roban lagos officeyour portugal information source to real estate and living in portugal
spacer spacer spacer



001-E Introduction : Home
011-E Property Management Contract : 010-E-Our activities
101-E Short term Rentals : 100-E-Lettings & Rentals
022-E Translations : 010-E-Our activities
012-E Tax Returns : 010-E-Our activities
129-E Price list : 120-E-Other services
123-E Assistance with the sale : 120-E-Other services
124-E Assistance with purchase. : 120-E-Other services
160-E Price List Services : 160-E Price List
133-E Know your clients : 150-E-Miscalleneous
002-E More about Us : Home
032-E Garden Maintanence : 030-E-Your Home
031-E Swimming pool maintanence : 030-E-Your Home
020-E Valuations : 010-E-Our activities
103-E Long term rentals : 100-E-Lettings & Rentals
014-E Taxation on Rental Income : 110-E-Tax services
041-E Electricity : 040-E-Utilities
043-E Water : 040-E-Utilities
042-E Gas : 040-E-Utilities
044-E Telephone : 040-E-Utilities
131-E Car Issues : 130-E-Transport
132-E Renting a car : 130-E-Transport
061-E Multi Risk House Insurance : 060-E-Insurances
065-E Insurance staff : 060-E-Insurances
053-E Social Security staff : 050-E-Staff
111-E Rates : 110-E-Tax services
045-E Alarm system - House protection : 040-E-Utilities
035-E Repair and Maintenance : 030-E-Your Home
071-E Borehole or Well : 070-E-Water issues
073-E Water softenors and other : 070-E-Water issues
074-E Purification system : 070-E-Water issues
081-E Central Heating : 080-E-Heating & Cooling
084-E AirCo : 080-E-Heating & Cooling
046-E Log fire or woodburning stove : 040-E-Utilities
091-E Internet & Broadband : 090-E-TV-Sat-Communication
093-E Satelite reception : 090-E-TV-Sat-Communication
092-E Cable television : 090-E-TV-Sat-Communication
131-E Own car : 130-E-Transport
033-E Cleaning lady or company : 030-E-Your Home
046-E Logs : 080-E-Heating & Cooling
104-E Tax on Rental Income : 110-E-Tax services
105-E The whole picture about rentals : 100-E-Lettings & Rentals
102-E License for Rentals : 100-E-Lettings & Rentals
034-E Condominium rules : 030-E-Your Home
062-E Health Insurances : 060-E-Insurances
141-E School system in Portugal : 140-E-Education
063-E Car Insurance : 060-E-Insurances
064-E Travel Insurance : 060-E-Insurances
151-E ECOVIA - Cycling track - : 150-E-Miscalleneous
019-E Project Management : 010-E-Our activities
015-E The Marketing of your property : 010-E-Our activities
106-E Holiday Letting Licenses : 100-E-Lettings & Rentals
041-E Electricity : 040-E-Utilities
113-E Fiscal Representation : 110-E-Tax services
101-E Application AL License : 100-E-Lettings & Rentals
021-E Fiscal Representation : 010-E-Our activities
112-E Tax Returns : 110-E-Tax services

001-D Introductie : Home
017-D Permanent naar Portugal verhuizen : 010-D-Onze activiteiten
123-D Assistentie bij verkoop : 120-D-Andere Diensten
Erfbelasting : 110-D-Belasting diensten
: 010-D-Onze activiteiten
018-D Assistentie bij kleine verbouwingen : 120-D-Andere Diensten
022-D Taxaties : 010-D-Onze activiteiten
002-D Meer over ons : Home
013-D Verplichtingen bij Huur en Verhuur : 010-D-Onze activiteiten
093-D Satelliet televisie en posities : 090-D-Com-Sat-TV
021-D Belastingvertegenwoordiging : 010-D-Onze activiteiten
101-D AL Vergunning : 100-D-Huur en Verhuur
020-D Bemiddeling bij verhuur : 010-D-Onze activiteiten
019-D Bouwbegeleiding : 010-D-Onze activiteiten
011-D Onroerend goed beheer : 010-D-Onze activiteiten
015-D Marketing verkoop o.g. : 010-D-Onze activiteiten
016-D Aankoop van O.G. : 010-D-Onze activiteiten
121-D Assistentie bij maken testament : 120-D-Andere Diensten
113-D Belastingvertegenwoordiging : 110-D-Belasting diensten
042-D Gas : 040-D-Nutsvoorzieningen
043.D Water : 040-D-Nutsvoorzieningen
041-D Electriciteit : 040-D-Nutsvoorzieningen
014-D Jaarlijkse Assistentie : 010-D-Onze activiteiten
124-D Assistentie bij aankoop : 120-D-Andere Diensten
112-D Belastingaangiftes : 110-D-Belasting diensten
122-D Vertalingen : 120-D-Andere Diensten
134-D Ken Uw klant : 150-D-Diversen

spacer spacer spacer

print article106-E Holiday Letting Licenses


106-E Holiday Letting Licenses

Smaller holiday rental properties such as villas, apartments and guest houses, are classed as ‘Local Lodging’, or ‘Alojamento local’, under the new legislation governing Tourist Rental properties. The law from the 25th of June 2008 updated by Law nr. 128/2014 from 29th August 2014, and DL nº 63/2015 makes it easier to register such property for holiday rental. This Bulletin was written based on this two laws and includes all the specific requirements to register this type of property. 

 The maximum capacity for a local lodging unit is of 9 rooms and 30 people except for hostels that have no capacity limit.  Each owner, or representative, may rent only 9 apartment units per building, if this does not exceed 75% of the totality of apartments in the building.   

Local lodging properties may be classed in one of these three categories:  a) House = Villa, town house, family house  b) Apartment = Self-sufficient partition of a building  c) Guest house or Hostel = Property where the rooms are the units to be let 

 Local lodging properties must fulfil the following requirements:  a) To be a well preserved buildings (interior and exterior).  b) To be connected to the water mains or alternatively have a private, correctly licensed, water supply system.  c) To be connected to the main sewage system or have a septic tank, large enough for the maximum capacity of the lodging.  d) To have running water supply, both cold and hot.   

The lodging units must:  a) Have a window or balcony facing the exterior, with good ventilation conditions.  b) Be furnished and equipped accordingly.  c) Have any kind of system to allow blocking the light from outside.  d) Have security equipment on the doors that allows the client’s privacy.  e) Fire extinguisher f) Fire blanket g) First aid box

 The lodging units must have a minimum of 1 sanitary facility for every 3 rooms, with washing basin, toilet and bath or shower.  All sanitary facilities must have security equipment that allows the client’s privacy.  The people renting the properties, whether they are the owners renting directly or a rental company, must provide to their clients information on the regulations in the rented property such as the use of swimming pools, lifts, common areas, reception working hours, services provided, etc.     


HOLIDAY RENTAL LICENCE Version 01/2017 14/03/2017

Holiday Rental Licence 

The registration In order to start a business renting your property, you must first of all, inform finanças that you are indeed starting a business. You can do this by registering as a sole trader, or through a company. Please note that if you are not a resident here you will need to have a fiscal representative, although the requirement to have a fiscal representative was abolished it is still necessary if you have any income in Portugal.  The registration of rental properties at the local Câmara, is done at your local Camara’s “Balcão Unico”, for which you should bring the following documents:   

a) A document proving the legitimacy of the person requesting, i.e. owner, representative of the owner, Management Company.  b) A certificate of compliance issued by the owner, stating that the electricity and gas and water heater installations are according to the law in force.  c) Certificate of Inicio de Actividade. This is a document, proving that you are registered, with Finanças, for business. d) Property rates document “Caderneta predial urbana” .  

The requirement, stamped by the local Câmara is a valid document to open to public.  Within 60 days after presenting the request, the local Câmara will do an inspection to make sure that all the requirements are met.  In case any of the requirements are not met, the registration is cancelled and the applicant must return the stamped requirement in their possession.   

Capacity  The capacity of the rental properties is determined by the number of fixed beds (individual or double) to rent in the property.  There can also be folding beds (extra) as long as these do not exceed the number of fixed beds.  Hygiene requirements  The properties for local lodging must always meet good standards of tidiness and hygiene.  Cleaning and maintenance, as well as changing bed linen and towels, must be done at least once a week and every time there is a change of client.  

Safety requirements  The local lodging properties must comply with the general fire safety regulations and the following requirements:  a) Accessible fire extinguishers and fire blankets in an amount adequate to the number of lodging units.  b) First aid equipment to EU standard (Carrying the ‘CE’ symbol)  c) Instruction Manuals of all electric appliances existing in the units, in the absence of these information about the use and functioning of these appliances must be provided.  d) Visible information of the national emergency number (112).  

Fire safety requirements vary depending on the kind of property concerned; however there is a minimum standard as required by the Bombeiros, which is one fire blanket in the kitchen by the oven and one large fire extinguisher or two medium ones in each floor of a property to rent. The fire brigade also advises that in a guesthouse or small Bed and Breakfast establishment, that there should be a smaller fire extinguisher in each room. 

H13E – Holiday Rental Licence 

Those properties with the capacity for more than 50 persons must have, besides the requirements above, a fire safety system according to a project drawn and presented with the requirement and a mobile or fixed telephone with an external line.  Some city hall offices (Camaras) may also request a “Ficha de Segurança Incêncio” (fire safety certificate).  

Publicity  The publicity, commercial documentation and merchandising of the rental property, must show the name of the place followed by  the “Alojamento local” registration number.  

Placa identificativa  The rental properties may have outside the property and near the main entrance, an informative board provided by the local Câmara. This board will be transparent and sized 20cm long by 20cm tall.  This is mandatory only for hostels. As any place open to the public these properties for rent are also required to have a complaints book (Livro de Reclamações).  

Registration of clients SEF, the police department for emigration and frontiers, will want to know if any foreign tourists are staying in Portugal, as well as the hotels, all local lodging owners must register their foreign clients with SEF, their arrival and their departure. All none Portuguese clients, must be registered with SEF, online, within 3 days after they arrive and 3 days after they leave. This log of clients must be done online on a website specifically created for this You need to register your property first off all and get a log in and password, this way you have access to the lodging bulletins online at any time. This site is only available in Portuguese


Date Inserted: 15 November 2017
Last Updated: 15 November 2017
Have questions or comments on this article? email me


print article

spacer spacer
spacer spacer
| Face Book ROBAN | Real Estate Activities | Real Estate | Info Topics | Rental Algarve | Sport Hotels |
Copyright © 2002-2022 ROBAN ReAct Ldª. All rights reserved. Legal Notices | Privacy Policy
Protected by the copyright laws of the EU and by international treaties.