spacer home roban lagos officeyour portugal information source to real estate and living in portugal
spacer spacer spacer



001-E Introduction : Home
011-E Property Management Contract : 010-E-Our activities
101-E Short term Rentals : 100-E-Lettings & Rentals
022-E Translations : 010-E-Our activities
012-E Tax Returns : 010-E-Our activities
129-E Price list : 120-E-Other services
123-E Assistance with the sale : 120-E-Other services
124-E Assistance with purchase. : 120-E-Other services
160-E Price List Services : 160-E Price List
133-E Know your clients : 150-E-Miscalleneous
002-E More about Us : Home
032-E Garden Maintanence : 030-E-Your Home
031-E Swimming pool maintanence : 030-E-Your Home
020-E Valuations : 010-E-Our activities
103-E Long term rentals : 100-E-Lettings & Rentals
014-E Taxation on Rental Income : 110-E-Tax services
041-E Electricity : 040-E-Utilities
043-E Water : 040-E-Utilities
042-E Gas : 040-E-Utilities
044-E Telephone : 040-E-Utilities
131-E Car Issues : 130-E-Transport
132-E Renting a car : 130-E-Transport
061-E Multi Risk House Insurance : 060-E-Insurances
065-E Insurance staff : 060-E-Insurances
053-E Social Security staff : 050-E-Staff
111-E Rates : 110-E-Tax services
045-E Alarm system - House protection : 040-E-Utilities
035-E Repair and Maintenance : 030-E-Your Home
071-E Borehole or Well : 070-E-Water issues
073-E Water softenors and other : 070-E-Water issues
074-E Purification system : 070-E-Water issues
081-E Central Heating : 080-E-Heating & Cooling
084-E AirCo : 080-E-Heating & Cooling
046-E Log fire or woodburning stove : 040-E-Utilities
091-E Internet & Broadband : 090-E-TV-Sat-Communication
093-E Satelite reception : 090-E-TV-Sat-Communication
092-E Cable television : 090-E-TV-Sat-Communication
131-E Own car : 130-E-Transport
033-E Cleaning lady or company : 030-E-Your Home
046-E Logs : 080-E-Heating & Cooling
104-E Tax on Rental Income : 110-E-Tax services
105-E The whole picture about rentals : 100-E-Lettings & Rentals
102-E License for Rentals : 100-E-Lettings & Rentals
034-E Condominium rules : 030-E-Your Home
062-E Health Insurances : 060-E-Insurances
141-E School system in Portugal : 140-E-Education
063-E Car Insurance : 060-E-Insurances
064-E Travel Insurance : 060-E-Insurances
151-E ECOVIA - Cycling track - : 150-E-Miscalleneous
019-E Project Management : 010-E-Our activities
015-E The Marketing of your property : 010-E-Our activities
106-E Holiday Letting Licenses : 100-E-Lettings & Rentals
041-E Electricity : 040-E-Utilities
113-E Fiscal Representation : 110-E-Tax services
101-E Application AL License : 100-E-Lettings & Rentals
021-E Fiscal Representation : 010-E-Our activities
112-E Tax Returns : 110-E-Tax services

001-D Introductie : Home
017-D Permanent naar Portugal verhuizen : 010-D-Onze activiteiten
123-D Assistentie bij verkoop : 120-D-Andere Diensten
Erfbelasting : 110-D-Belasting diensten
: 010-D-Onze activiteiten
018-D Assistentie bij kleine verbouwingen : 120-D-Andere Diensten
022-D Taxaties : 010-D-Onze activiteiten
002-D Meer over ons : Home
013-D Verplichtingen bij Huur en Verhuur : 010-D-Onze activiteiten
093-D Satelliet televisie en posities : 090-D-Com-Sat-TV
021-D Belastingvertegenwoordiging : 010-D-Onze activiteiten
101-D AL Vergunning : 100-D-Huur en Verhuur
020-D Bemiddeling bij verhuur : 010-D-Onze activiteiten
019-D Bouwbegeleiding : 010-D-Onze activiteiten
011-D Onroerend goed beheer : 010-D-Onze activiteiten
015-D Marketing verkoop o.g. : 010-D-Onze activiteiten
016-D Aankoop van O.G. : 010-D-Onze activiteiten
121-D Assistentie bij maken testament : 120-D-Andere Diensten
113-D Belastingvertegenwoordiging : 110-D-Belasting diensten
042-D Gas : 040-D-Nutsvoorzieningen
043.D Water : 040-D-Nutsvoorzieningen
041-D Electriciteit : 040-D-Nutsvoorzieningen
014-D Jaarlijkse Assistentie : 010-D-Onze activiteiten
124-D Assistentie bij aankoop : 120-D-Andere Diensten
112-D Belastingaangiftes : 110-D-Belasting diensten
122-D Vertalingen : 120-D-Andere Diensten
134-D Ken Uw klant : 150-D-Diversen

spacer spacer spacer

print article104-E Tax on Rental Income



As many of you rent out your property through our services it is maybe good to know if and what you have to declare to the Portuguese tax authorities (Finançes).

It is known know that undeclared rental income is high on the list of the Finançes. All rental income either received inside or outside Portugal but related to in Portugal situated real estate is subject to either IRS (income) tax, for property owned in your own name or IRC (corporate) tax for properties owned by an offshore property company.

Rent can be achieved from rental out your property on a long term bases with an official rental contract signed between tenant and landlord and filed with the Finançes. This so called short term rental contract means a contract with a minimum time of 5 years! In case this is all done properly the owner will have to add the income to his IRS whilst the tenant, which in this case automatically becomes a tax resident in Portugal, is entitled to a tax credit.

The other form of getting rent is for property owners to let on a short-terms weekly basis during a certain period of the year – normally the period between April and October. When such an activity is conducted as a business, the taxpayer much register as such.

If the rental price is build up of rent to the landlord including a commission for an agency the only part to be declared is the rent minus the commission, as the tax authorities do not consider commissions to an agent as a deductible expense.


In fact 3 types of expenses are considered as deductible, thereby reducing the taxable income from rents:

  1. Manutenção (maintenance)
  2. Conservação (repairs)
  3. Contribuição Autarquica (rates)

Expenses which fall in the above-mentioned categories are for example:

  • Painting of in- and exterior
  • Repairs to plumbing, electrical systems, gas.
  • Energy expenses for lighting, heating and/or Airco
  • Building insurance
  • Rates are now only considered as a deductible expenses whilst before it was a tax credit.

In case of apartments where a condominium is compulsory under Portuguese law some additional costs can also be deducted:

  • Cleaning
  • Security
  • Condominium expenses

It is obvious that these taxes only can be considered deductible if documented by proper facturas and recibos, which have to state the name and fiscal numbers (NIP or NIPC) from the taxpayer and the entity providing the goods or services. In nearly all these cases IVA (VAT) should be included.

In certain cases tax is already withheld at source in which case this is considered as a tax credit. This for example happens if both provider and owner are registered as companies.


Certain expenses are not deductible for the tax return on income:

  • Construction which increases the or alter the structure of the building
  • Installation of heating systems or Airco
  • Improvements on garden and or irrigation
  • Construction of a pool – jacuzzi

These expenses can be however later considered when properly documented as capital improvements and may enter into the calculation of the taxable base of the building for capital gains purposes when the property is sold.


Again we have to make a distinction between IRS (income) and IRC (Corporate) tax.

The IRS is determined by a table of progressive tax rates:


Date Inserted: 24 June 2007
Last Updated: 30 October 2017
Have questions or comments on this article? email me


print article

spacer spacer
spacer spacer
| Face Book ROBAN | Real Estate Activities | Real Estate | Info Topics | Rental Algarve | Sport Hotels |
Copyright © 2002-2022 ROBAN ReAct Ldª. All rights reserved. Legal Notices | Privacy Policy
Protected by the copyright laws of the EU and by international treaties.